Join our Team
If you like helping people , working as part of a team, being involved in continuous learning and a physically fit, then you may be an ideal candidate for a volunteer firefighter position.
We offer opportunities to assist others, while performing as a member of a highly skilled team. The fire Department is an organization dedicated to saving lives and protecting property through fire prevention, suppression and public education. We are committed to continuous learning and superior customer service.
What do Firefighters do?
- Fight Fires.
- Provide fire prevention education.
- Provide technical rescue (including Marine and Ice rescue).
- Respond to dangerous goods incidents.
- Provide First-aid and Medical first response services.
- Operate and maintain vehicles.
- Maintain facilities and equipment.
- Participate in training.
- Work in extremes of temperature and all weather conditions.
- Drive and operate highly specialized equipment in emergency situations.
- Perform manual labour and physically challenging tasks in diverse conditions.
What do you need to be successful as a Volunteer Firefighter?
- Good reference checks, a clean criminal records check and a good life style choices will make you a good representative of your fire department.
- A medical test will indicate that you have the physical fitness required to be a volunteer Firefighter. Your personal safety is of utmost importance to us.
- A clean drivers abstract will indicate to us that you have respect for pubic safety.
How does it Work?
- You participate in training once accepted. All our fighters must obtain firefighter level one status or equivalent during their first two years of membership.
- You will be required to attend training meetings twice monthly with a monthly meeting also on one of these nights.
- You will be required to respond to emergency calls (these can be anything from car accident scenes to marine or ice rescues). Due to the nature of these calls they can happen at an hour.
- All of your uniforms, books and personal protective equipment (PPE) are supplied at no cost to you. We also provide life insurance.
Benefits of volunteering?
The benefits of being a member of the Lunenburg and District Fire Department are many. Although not always monetary, they are the type that will make you, your family and neighbors sleep better at night, just knowing that that you and the rest of the department are there whenever needed. Plus:
- Increased opportunities to gain personal satisfaction and by providing meaningful service to your community.
- Opportunity to grow personally and professionally through gaining experience , learning new skills and developing new relationships in your community.
- The LDFD has a fitness room containing weights and Cardiovascular equipment available to all members
- for the 2010 tax years volunteers gain a $500 provincial and $3000 federal tax rebate.
- Honorarium given to the department by the town of Lunenburg which is distributed yearly based on number of calls responded to. this is to cover sundry expanses and wear and tear to vehicles.
- Access to club room with bar, dart board, and pool table.
If you think you have what it takes to join the LDFD, we would love to hear from you. Call us on 902-634-8343 or email email@example.com